Vela has goal, 2 assists as LAFC tops Montreal 4-2
European Football Headlines
- African Cup: Cameroon starts with win, Ghana upstaged
- US men's soccer team following American women in France
- Copa America happy with video reviews despite some criticism
- Dutch cap Europe's World Cup dominance by ousting Japan
- Barca sells Gomes to Everton; Cillessen set to join Valencia
- Ever-changing Argentina seeks stability at Copa America
- Italy beats China 2-0, reaches first quarterfinal since 1991
- Ospina returns for Copa America quarterfinals
- Real Madrid to have women's team from 2020-21 season
- It's on: The World Cup clash between the US and France
LOS ANGELES (AP) Carlos Vela scored his league-leading 15th goal and Tristan Blackmon got the first of his career as the Los Angeles Football Club beat the Montreal Impact 4-2 on Friday night.
Vela's goal, a pretty easy touch after a perfect feed in from Eduard Atuesta in the 28th minute made it 2-0. Blackmon's header off of Vela's corner in the 55th minute made it 4-0.
It is the fifth time this season LAFC (10-1-4) has scored four goals in a game. Vela also assisted on Latif Blessing's first goal of the season in the 31st minute. Christian Ramirez opened the scoring in the seventh minute on a gaff by Montreal keeper Evan Bush, who kicked a simple clearing attempt into Ramirez and it deflected into the goal.
Tyler Miller lost his bid for a shutout when a Montreal centering past went off LAFC defender Eddie Segura in the 70th minute. The Impact (6-6-3) added a penalty kick by Saphir Taider in the 84th minute.
LAFC is unbeaten in six straight games overall and eight straight at home.
Updated May 25, 2019